Marius Gedminas wrote:
On Tue, Aug 05, 2008 at 10:36:30PM +0100, Martin Aspeli wrote:
Subscribers and subscription adapters are particularly bad in this way, since they are unnamed and thus can't be "overridden", only amended to.

We've talked about an "off" switch for ZCML before. Given that we have a configuration machine that's capable of doing overrides based on discriminators, why couldn't we have support for negatives, e.g.

<unconfigure>
   <utility ... />
</unconfigure>

This could use a special _context that would record callables and discriminators, and then look for the corresponding callables/discriminators in the real context and remove them before that context was configured.

Subscribers don't have discriminators, unfortunately.

Indeed they don't. That just makes them harder to track down, though.

I'm working on a package for this functionality in z3c.unconfigure right now. Name inspired by Martin's suggestion above; my original prototype used had a different name but this is much better :).