On 27 Oct 2008, at 13:10, Roché Compaan wrote:

Improving the performance of indexes is really really hard. In this case I really don't think caching is a band-aid, it is a good solution. Even
with optimised indexes, you will find that you need caching to get
reasonable performance if you have a catalog with close to a million or more documents indexed. Given a large enough catalog, I would argue that
caching is equally as necessary as having a large cache for a ZEO
client.

But caches expire and results get invalidated, and therefor we should
continue to optimise indexes. With some help we should be able to
contribute at this level too.

--
Roché Compaan
Upfront Systems                   http://www.upfrontsystems.co.za

Thanks to you and everyone else working on these sometimes thankless performance improvements.

--r
Russ Ferriday - Topia Systems - Open Source content management with Plone and Zope [EMAIL PROTECTED] - office: +44 2076 1777588 - mobile: +44 7789 338868 - skype: ferriday