On 31.10.2008 18:36 Uhr, Tres Seaver wrote:

In that case Plone will neither use 2.11 nor 2.12 but go straight for a
Zope 2.13 including Python 2.6. A major release every six month would be
desirable for us in that case. Right now I don't see anyone, who would
be using those releases. If those people exist, please speak up.
Plone isn't the only consumer of Zope2, although it is clearly the
biggest one.
Tres, what are you current needs and requirements (properly based on
your Repoze project)? I agree that Plone isn't the only consumer but I
wonder if all other consumers really have the need jumping on every
train passing the train station. We have the luxury with four supported
Zope 2 major release. I don't want a fith right now unless we are having
very good reasons.

I think we need to move toward 2.6 compatibility, but we need to give
people a migration path, largely because 2.6 will break 3rd party apps
in ways that 2.4 doesn't warn about.  So, I would like to see a 2.12
which is explicity about bridging first to 2.5 support:  that way,
people get a chance to clean up the new deprecation warnings (e.g., for
the 'with' keyword, etc.).

If ZODB 3.9 lands in time, then a near-term release of Zope 2.12 could
be this consolidation release (2.5 support, new ZODB, including maybe
RelStorage, other work done to date).

Good points - let's head for Python 2.5 support in Zope 2.12.

We could the focus trunk development on 2.6 compatibility, with the goal
of releasing a 2.13 no later than Q3 next year.

ACK

In the meantime, we can acknowledge that 2.8 and 2.9 are "retired" (no
future work except maybe important security fixes),

+1

and announce that
2.10 will be retired after the 2.12 release:

We have to care about 2.10 for a longer period because of the large amount of Plone 3.X installations.

I don't see a win there, myself:  I'd rather make an easier transition
for 2.12 than spend resources on a potentially-destabilizing backport of
2.5 compatibility.

ok - the goals for the 2.12 release should be documented somewhere (your ideas, see above + the Hanno's proposals).

Andreas

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart, Handelsregister A 381535
Geschäftsführer/Gesellschafter: ZOPYX Limited, Birmingham, UK

begin:vcard
fn:Andreas Jung
n:Jung;Andreas
org:ZOPYX Ltd. & Co. KG