Op 17-09-13 17:15, Marius Gedminas schreef:
On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 09:35:58AM -0400, Jim Fulton wrote:
On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 8:58 AM, Marius Gedminas <mar...@gedmin.as> wrote:
FWIW the only reason I'm in favour of self-merges is that this
short-circuits the "have you signed the ZF committer agreement?" dance.
Only people who have can merge.

Sorry, I don't understand the point you're making.

I'll try to explain better.

I also feel silly when I ask this question from people with very
familiar names.  (I feel that I have to do when I don't see ZF
membership on their GitHub profile.)

So are you saying you don't merge other people's code because
you don't want to ask if they're contributors?

No.  I'm saying the reviewer-merges workflow looks like this:

1. Somebody creates a pull request
2. A reviewer reviews
3. OP fixes
4. Reviewer asks "have you signed the agreement?  if not please sign"
5. OP says he/she signed it
6. Reviewer trusts OP's word and merges

(I don't have a good short word for "somebody who created the pull
request", so I abused Original Poster.)

Whereas I'd prefer

1. Somebody creates a pull request
2. A reviewer reviews
3. OP fixes
4. Reviewer says "looks good to me, feel free to merge (if you're not a
    committer already, see http://foundation.zope.org/agreements)"
5. OP merges

It's not a very strong preference.  I can feel myself changing my mind
already ;-)

OTOH the implicit trust in step 6 makes me a bit uneasy, and I'm not
quite sure how to verify the fact of the signing.  Wait for the user to
show up in https://github.com/zopefoundation?tab=members ?

Checking that list seems the best to me.

This could be a reason to prefer that the 'pull requester' creates a branch in the original repository within the zopefoundation: if he can do that, it proves he is authorized and has signed the agreement.

BTW, I have just now seen that I am on that list in the members tab, but in the greyed out section, which I think means that non-members do not see me listed. There was a button 'Publicize membership' next to my name so I clicked and am now in the top 'full-color' list. :-) Others may want to do the same.

--
Maurits van Rees: http://maurits.vanrees.org/
Zest Software: http://zestsoftware.nl