Dmitry Vasiliev wrote:
[snip]
* currently you can translate any string (not only a message id) like this:

In this case the string will be automatically converted to message id and then translated. I think we definitely shouldn't translate any string, only message ids.

This is an interesting usecase. If I understand you correctly, the question, put a bit broader, is the following:

Should this translate whatever string (not message id) is returned from some/call or should it leave it alone?

You seem to be arguing it shouldn't. I can also see a usecase where this would be handy -- you can just add the string to your translation dictionary without having to mark anything in your codebase. This is a *disadvantage* if you're already using extraction tools, though.

Regards,

Martijn