Jim Fulton wrote:

I still don't like the implicit translation of message ids, but I'll
bow to the majority opinion.  This really needs to be run by the ZPT
and Zope lists as well.

If we do this, then it would be tempting to deprecate allowing i18n:translate to be used in combination with tal:content or
tal:replace, however, it is still appropriate to use i18n:translate
in combination with tal:content if there is a chance that the default
would be used.

Note that tal:replace and i18n:translate as a combination is already forbidden in Zope 2; I noticed today that it wouldn't even compile.

Certainly a big advantage of this for me is that it makes clear that
i18n: tags in the ZPT *only* affect the zpt source, which is a
significant conceptual simplification IMO.  For example, it makes it
clear that the i18n:domain only applies to template text, not to
dynamically inserted text.

Right.

We need to stop thinking about Zope 3 ZPT vs Zope 2 ZPT and switch to
 having one ZPT used by both.  This should be a goal for the June
release.  I hope someone has time to work on this.

I think it would eventually save everybody lots of time, so I will try to chip some in.

Regards,

Martijn