On Jul 13, 2007, at 11:31 AM, Stephan Richter wrote:

On Friday 13 July 2007 11:23, Jim Fulton wrote:
Once we reach steady state, I'd like to see everything in the cheese
shop.  Unfortunately, I hate crapping poorly packaged eggs there. :
(  I'm not sure what to do about that given the time availability of
current volunteers.

It would be great if people who had time and were looking for easy
projects would adopt some packages and make sure they are packaged
well, especially with good overview information and on-line
documentation.   I don't have much time for this in the short term,
although I'll certainly chip away at it in the long term.

What does a good package contain? I have tried hard to follow the example of the existing packages, but are they good? I think we need to develop some
guidelines first, before we can ask people to do the work.

Fair enough. We're still learning, but ....

IMO, a could release should have:

- a good overview, and preferably

- on-line documentation

Of course, the standard meta data should be filed in to a reasonable degree.

Mainly what I'm looking for is a good faith effort.

For example, IMO, zope.proxy is inadequate:

  http://www.python.org/pypi/zope.proxy/3.4.0

I released it anyway because it is a dependency of ZODB, but I wasn't happy. I really want to go bask and provide some basic documentation.

We have soo much work to do on packaging. Oh well, we'll get their eventually.

Jim

Powered!
CTO                             (540) 361-1714
http://www.python.org