I use subject names to store messages.
maxSubjectLength: 0
maxAllowedDups: 3

It's been set this exact way for years and generally seems to work.
However, having just completed going through the 15,000 spam messages in
/spam (that was fun, I see that some) subjects are repeated many many
times.

Most of these more then 3 duplicates (but I don't think all) seem to have
punctuation in the subject, and extra colon, ends in an exclamation mark, a
period, etc.  Those punctuation marks are (rightfully) ignored in the file
name, but might they be used in the comparison so they're not coming up as
already there?  I really don't know, I just know what I'm seeing.

Thanks