----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark A. Foster" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Baha'i Studies" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 2004 4:34 AM
Subject: Re: Terms vs. Concepts

> Richard,
>
> At 06:46 PM 3/9/2004, you wrote:
> >>It is, I think, better to adhere to plain meanings, dictionary
definitions and fundamental principles rather than step into the unknown
world of the concepts of another human being who will be judged by the same
God.<<

> IMO, there is no such thing as a "plain" meaning. The meaning only exists
in the mind of the speaker, writer, listener, or reader. If the meaning in
the mind of a reader does not coincide with the meaning (or meanings) in the
mind of the writer, no real understanding is produced. Meaning is not the
same as word definition.

The proof of the correctness of those assertions would require some
considerable evidence.

> Obviously, in approaching the Sacred Texts, one needs to begin with
definitions, preferably in the original languages. Subsequently, one
explores issues of literary, historical, social, and cultural context. In
addition, one meditates on the passages, hopefully in light of their
contexts. Following this process, one might obtain some limited
understanding of the concepts which underlie the words.

Which of course is why prayer and meditation and study are so important; and
why Shoghi Effendi desired that we not read less but more.

> >>Fundamentalists and more moderate religionists do not think in terms of
strategies available for interpretation.  They believe that the only guide
to understanding anything is the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, or the
promptings of the Holy Spirit.<<

> Personally, I would not want to put fundamentalists and moderates into the
same category, but, perhaps, you are not using these terms as I do.

Somehow I feel a certain fondness for "fundamentalists".  They are looking
for the irreducible, the solid rock upon which to build their house of
faith.  I daresay such an effort is commendable.

> In terms of fundamentalist Christians, my observation is that they rely
mostly on the dogmas developed by the various church councils, the
formulations contained in the so-called Apostle's Creed, and the statements
made by their ministers.

Yes indeed that is true for many of them.  However, the ministers, pastors,
etc. of many of them deplore the lack of understanding of their people
regarding the development of their own Faith and its meaning.  Some
ministers and priests with whom I have had the privilege of speaking, seem
to find themselves in a web of contradictions from which they cannot
extricate themselves.  The situation is distressing for all.

> These fundamentalists may believe that they are only following the
promptings of the Holy Spirit, but so do Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons,
Unificationists, and many, many others.

Exactly!  They do indeed believe that.  Once I spoke with a Rosicrucian who
had become a Seventh Day Adventist.  When I told her of Baha'u'llah; her
shoulders slumped and tears entered her eyes.  She said "I can't change
again".  It can be very difficult for some to examine and re-examine their
long held and carefully structured beliefs.  Can one bear to recognize that
the foundation of one's belief is error?  Yet, at the very least, these
people recognise that there is a Holy Spirit and that that Spirit is the
Source of Truth.

Richard.

> Mark A. Foster * Portal: http://MarkFoster.net
> CompuServe: http://boards.M.Foster.name