On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 04:07:48 -0600, Mark A. Foster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Gilberto:
> >>And secondly, can Bahai claims  be fairly described as affirming Islam in a
> >>positive sense, or do they result in co-opting Islam.<<

Mark:
> No religion can be co-opted. They are each distinct divine Revelations. They
> are, in effect, like Kuhnian paradigms for a particular Dispensation, i.e.,
> the period of time between one Prophet and the next. What may be evaluated as
> truthful contingent on one Revelation may be judged as false based on an
> earlier or a later one. Truth is relative.

Gilberto:
I think it is probably illuminating to think of different religions as
paradigms. But then the view of progressive revelation and that time
and date make a big difference  is ITSELF  part of the Bahai paradigm
but there are others.

One paper I found which I like on this subject is:

called

"The Metaphysics of Interfaith Dialogue: A Qur'anic Perspective"

and is available at:
http://www.iis.ac.uk/research/academic_papers/interfaith_dialogue/interfaith_dialogue.htm

What I like about is that it articulates ideas similar to perennialism
while rooting them very much in the Quran and the Sufi philosophical
tradition.

Instead of one religious dispensation replacing another through time,
I think the Quran has more a sense of the communities co-existing
simultaneously.

"For each We have appointed from you a Law and a Way (shir'atan wa
minhajan). Had God willed, He could have made you one community. But
that He might try you by that which He hath given you [He hath made
you as you are]. So vie with one another in good works. Unto God ye
will all return, and He will inform you of that wherein ye differed."
(5:48).

So during what you might call a single dispensation, there are
different groups of human beings each following paths which are
meaningful to them. I'm not a big fan of the whole clash of
civilizations hypothesis (at least not the political implications) but
I think that the gulf between civilizations can often be bigger than
the gulf across ages, within the same civilization. And a good example
would be Sino-Japanese civilizations where Some mix of Buddhism,
Taoism and Confucianism have been a big part of the spiritual
foundation in that part of the world for about 2600 years, and there
is a real timeless quality to those principles, and those traditions
are still meaningful to them, but I'm not sure most Westerners can
hear the sound of one hand clapping, if that made any sense.