Springboarding from:

http://www.iis.ac.uk/research/academic_papers/interfaith_dialogue/interfaith_dialogue.htm

> "Before substantiating this conception of essential religion or religion as
> such by citing > particular Qur'anic verses, it is important to mention very
> briefly the Qur'anic encounter > between Moses and the mysterious personage
> al-Khidr, not mentioned by name in the > Qur'an. Even in its literal aspect,
> the story alludes to the distinction between the form > of religion and its
> transcendent essence, between exoteric and esoteric knowledge."

Mark:
> IMO, that "transcendental essence" is God, as manifested in His Will, not an
> ontological perennialism.

Gilberto:
Especially given the other kinds of differences which Bahais seek to
try to reconcile, could it be the distinction you are trying to make
here is more along the lines of
Po-tay-to, Po-tah-to?

Gilberto:
> >>Instead of one religious dispensation replacing another through time, I
> >>think the Quran has more a sense of the communities co-existing
> >>simultaneously.<<

Mark:
> That may be an accurate picture of the Baha'i "Golden Age," as well (or at
> least a certain stage of it). However, since this subject is not, to my
> knowledge, clearly discussed in the Baha'i primary sources, I try not to
> limit my speculations.

Gilberto:
When I said "co-existing" I didn't mean to imply anything about the
quality or nature of the relation between them. Crusades and
witchhunts are also included in "co-existing". I just meant to suggest
the possibility that God let's us see according to our own paradigms.
That religious diversity is ordained in some sense. There is an
interesting hadith where God says "I am as My servant thinks I am".

I think there is a level where I think all religions (except for maybe
the Hale-Bopp followin'-poison-kool-aid-drinking-gun-stockpilin' death
cults)  are all positve in that they all tend to reinforce and affirm
the basic minimal standards of Earthling morality. And then in some
narrower sense, the Abrahamic religions have alot more common ground.
And then there is a sense in which I would say Islam is true and other
religions are less true, but I would be willing to concede that I'm
operating from a particular paradigm and that at the end of things
when we hopefully can see things more clearly we'll all be able to
laugh and say "Oh, so THAT's what an elephant looks like"

Unto God ye will all return, and He will inform you of that wherein ye
differed." (5:48).

GIlberto:
> >>So during what you might call a single dispensation, there are different
> >>groups of human beings each following paths which are meaningful to them.
> >>I'm not a big fan of the whole clash of civilizations hypothesis (at least
> >>not the political implications) but I think that the gulf between
> >>civilizations can often be bigger than the gulf across ages, within the
> >>same civilization.<<

Mark:
> Often? I am not sure. I would say sometimes.

Gilberto:
I'm talking about religious matters now. Spirituality, theology.

> >>And a good example would be Sino-Japanese civilizations where Some mix of
> >>Buddhism, Taoism and Confucianism have been a big part of the spiritual
> >>foundation in that part of the world for about 2600 years, and there is a
> >>real timeless quality to those principles, and those traditions are still
> >>meaningful to them, but I'm not sure most Westerners can hear the sound of
> >>one hand clapping, if that made any sense.<<

Mark:
> Zen koans are a good example of why many people, myself included, have always
> found the Sino-Japanese versions of Buddhism (which are also syncretistic as
> you imply), to be unnerving. I find the Indo-Tibetan Buddhist traditions much
> more intelligible.

Yes, so that would be a decent example of what I"m talking about. The
civilizational/cultural  split seems is rather salient even in the
"same" religion.

[nice story]