Dear Susan,

You wrote: <> It is just that the term itself is derived from Christianity. <>

Well, I'm not convinced it didn't originate with Baha'u'llah... OK, call me a die-hard! ; )

The Guardian translated Gleanings, published in 1952. So, conceding that the actual phrase originated with him ...

I'd now be interested in knowing when and why (to whom) the original passage was written. I don't find it in any other books.

With regard to the Christian connection, both "The Approaching End of The Age", by H. Grattan Guinness in 1879 AD (referenced by Khazeh) and "The Bible: A Progressive Revelation" by S.L. Morgan, Sr. in the 1950's (referenced by Mark) were both written after the Declaration of Baha'u'llah.

"Whoso reciteth, in the privacy of his chamber, the verses revealed by God, the scattering angels of the Almighty shall scatter abroad the fragrance of the words uttered by his mouth, and shall cause the heart of every righteous man to throb. Though he may, at first, remain unaware of its effect, yet the virtue of the grace vouchsafed unto him must needs sooner or later exercise its influence upon his soul." (Baha'u'llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, p. 294)

There is also the "world order" phrase bantered about in recent years and will no doubt also be attributed to originating in the 20th Century; however, we also have this from Baha'u'llah and translated by the Guardian:

LXX. The world's equilibrium hath been upset through the vibrating influence of this most great, this new World Order. Mankind's ordered life hath been revolutionized through the agency of this unique, this wondrous System -- the like of which mortal eyes have never witnessed. (Baha'u'llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, p. 136)

lovingly,  Sandra

__________________________________________________ You are subscribed to Baha'i Studies as: mailto:archive@mail-archive.com To unsubscribe, send a blank email to mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] To subscribe, use subscribe bahai-st in the message body to [EMAIL PROTECTED] Baha'i Studies is available through the following: Mail - mailto:bahai-st@list.jccc.edu Web - http://list.jccc.edu/read/?forum=bahai-st News - news://list.jccc.edu/bahai-st Public - http://www.escribe.com/religion/bahaist Old Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/bahai-st@list.jccc.net New Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/bahai-st@list.jccc.edu