On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 02:43:39 -0900, Sandra Chamberlain
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Dear Gilberto,  you wrote: <> Some situations now are like
> situations then, and if we understand the connection properly
> one can act accordingly. <>

Sandra:
> Undoubtedly, a Muslim will follow the teachings of Muhammed;
> a Christian the teaching of Christ;  a Jew the teachings of
> Moses;  likewise, a Baha'i will follow the teachings of
> Baha'u'llah.  The response each one makes to a given situation
> is contingent upon their personal religious convinctions and
> moral code of honor.

Sure, but at the same time, just speaking for Muslims, I would say
that the teachings of Islam cover a wide range of varied situations,
both typical situations and atypical ones or even extremes.

For example, the Quran gives guidelines in terms resisting an
oppressor or an aggressor, but there are also examples of
non-resistance. I don't know how familiar you are with the stories of
Cain and Abel in the Bible and the Quran. I Think the Bible says
something along the lines of "And Cain rose up and slew Abel" and
growing up with that story I'd always had the impression that Cain
surprised Abel, that he snuck up on him and beat him upside his head
with a rock or something.

 In the Quranic version it is interesting that  Cain doesn't sneak up
on Abel. He actually announces his intentions quite clearly.

[5.27] And relate to them the story of the two sons of Adam with truth
when they both offered an offering, but it was accepted from one of
them and was not accepted from the other. He said: I I will most
certainly slay you. (The other) said: Allah only accepts from those
who guard (against evil).
[5.28] If you will stretch forth your hand towards me to slay me, I am
not one to stretch forth my hand towards you to slay you surely I fear
Allah, the Lord of the worlds:
[5.29] Surely I wish that you should bear the sin committed against me
and your own sin, and so you would be of the inmates of the fire, and
this is the recompense of the unjust.
[5.30] Then his mind facilitated to him the slaying of his brother so
he slew him; then he became one of the losers

So already the Quranic dispensation has examples of resistance and
non-resistance. Already there are forms of guidance which help deal
with vastly changing circumstances. Understand?