On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 10:50:19 -0600, Mark A. Foster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi, Gilberto,
>
> At 09:51 AM 12/25/2004, you wrote:
> >>The question is in the subject line. Wouldn't the passage below endorse the
> >>idea that there are some perennial commandments, and guidelines to human
> >>behavior across the manifestations? And the important thing is to follow
> >>that spiritual core. How is this the same or different from what the
> >>Perennialists are saying?<<

Mark:
> If Susan is reading this message, perhaps she could comment.

Mark:
> The difference between the philosophia perennis and my understanding of the
> Baha'i view is not necessarily seen the result, but in the cause.

Gilberto:
I'm not sure I follow?

Mark:
 The eternal teachings of the Prophets, those which do not change,
are, similar to those laws which may change from one Dispensation to
the next, founded on the Will of God.

Gilberto:
But as long as you admit that there *are* eternal teachings of the
prophets which don't change, isn't that perennialism right there?

Earlier, when I've heard you or Susan object to Perennialism it seemed
like you were giving the impression that there were no fixed rules.
That any of the commandments could change. And there were no eternal
laws.

But the passage from Abdul Baha seems to allow for the possibility
that there is a core which doesn't change from prophet to prophet. The
Holy of Holies.

I mean look at that passage:

"the Law of God is divided into two parts. One is the
fundamental basis which comprises all spiritual things--that is to
say, it refers to the spiritual virtues and divine qualities; this
does not change nor alter: it is the Holy of Holies, which is the
essence of the Law of Adam, Noah, Abraham, Moses, Christ, Muhammad,
the Báb, and Bahá'u'lláh, and which lasts and is established in all
the prophetic cycles."

I mean, am I missing something? This is saying that the fundamental
basis, the essnece of the laws of the various prophets does not change
or alter. It will never be abrogated.

And the passage ends:
"These divine qualities, these eternal commandments, will never be
abolished; nay, they will last and remain established for ever and
ever."

I mean seems pretty clear from this passage that Perennialism is
basically true. The only issue would be some technical detail here or
there.