Later in His life Muhammed found it necessary to conduct correspondence with
the Byzantines. They ignored letters that were not "sealed" a recognizable
seal being a sign of authoirty. It is recounted that Muhammed had a series
of ring seals made to authenticate His correspondence headed to Byzantium.

Dear Scott,

What I don't get is what is your point here?

"I agree most muslims put faith in the hadith of the  last sermon, but I
cannot equate hadith and the Qur'an."

Whether you can or not is really irrelevant. The question really is whether
or not Muslims are being faithful when they do? You can't measure them by
standards of authority we arrived at for ourselves centuries later.

warmest, Susan