On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 14:09:33 +0700, Firouz Anaraki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Gilberto:
> > Personally, I think that if you are in a
> > country where the majority of the population are religious Muslims and
> > they have a good democratic-type government which respects the will of
> > the people and is accountable, then Islamic values and principles
> > would naturally be incorporated into the structure of the government
> > and the society. And there is more than one way which that can happen
> > and there is more than one way that can look like.

> Can you give an example of any Muslim country as you ideally define above
> today?

I don't think any country (Muslim or not) will be ideal.  But that's
what I would like to see other countries move towards. Secularization
in Muslim countries seems to take place as the result of force and
repression. So I'm wary if you are somehow holding it up as a model.

The populations of many of these countries are religious Muslims and
so if you "democratize" and had governments which were more inclusive
and responsive to popular will, I suspect that in alot of places
religious leaders might have more influence in government, not less.

Turkey is as secular as it is because the military undemocratically
represses the Islamic parties.

http://www.religioscope.com/articles/2002/017_turkey_elect.htm

A few years back Algeria was going to have elections where everyone
knew that the Islamic party was going to win, until the military
stepped in to stop the elections.

Not that I'm an expert but it looks like a similar story can be told
in Iraq. Sistani is a popular leader whose voice is listened to by
many and its looking as if under democratic elections, and it seems
like the religious parties are popular and will have a strong role in
whatever government gets elected.

Peace

GIlberto