In a message dated 1/22/2005 11:27:20 AM Central Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
I wouldn't have the same respect for a Bahai who joined in on such
accusations when their own scriptures don't seem to have a problem
with burning someone alive.
Especially if we are talking about punishments found in the Quran
which they say they believe comes from God.

If you wanted to just say we are all playing a big game of Simon Says
with God and that for the previous thousand years or so the rules were
one thing, and for the next thousand years or so they just happened to
change, that's fine.

But to accuse the Islamic punishments of being brutal and inhumane is
something which is difficult if not impossible for a Bahai to do with
integrity.
No game of Simon says. The Aqdas allows death for the crime of arson, but it also says imprisonment is acceptable, that the case and its punishment have mitigation. This allows a Baha`i tribunal to imprison one ofr arson, or exact an horrific punishment for the cruelest of the crimes. Note this punishment allows for execution, but none o the Baha`i mandated crimes involve  a punishment of maiming, for instance or flogging. U.S. law does not allow for "maiming" (a cruel and unusual punishment)  but does allow execution. I would hate to invoke a punishment of burning to death on anyone, but I look on electrocution as much the same thing and that is not a "cruel and unusual punishment" under western codes.

I think these things reflect cultural attitudes as much as they do anything else.

Regards,

Scott