On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 12:56:54 EST, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In a message dated 1/23/2005 11:15:44 AM Central Standard Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> But it is possible to set up a society in such a way that keeping the
> law is easy and structure legal-police-justice system such it would
> only rarely meet out punishments.

> That seems to be the thinking of various Utopians from Plato to the Oneida
> colony.

Your point being? The ethos of Islam isn't to go around just lookin'
for folks to punish. Looking through windows and eavesdroppings are
sins mentioned in the Quran. So there should be limits to what a
"morality cop" would do.  The prophet encouraged Muslism to find ways
to avoid applying the punishments. I'm sure I've said it before, but
in order to geta convinction for adultery you need four upright
eye-witness who actually saw the penetration. What is being punished
isn't just a private discreet behavior, but a rare kind of
shamelessness.

-Gilberto