On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 20:20:03 -0600, Mark A. Foster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Gilberto,

> There is, IMO, a difference between virtues, which are divine
> structurizations, and morals (norms and values), which are human
> structurizations.  Through the Will of God (virtues) or through the wills of
> humans in groups (morals), both can change over time and vary geographically
> or situationally.

Could you give examples of each to explain how they are different?

> The fact that virtues may be relative to God's Will does not indicate a
> failure to take them seriously. Likewise, people must be sensitive to the
> norms and values in different cultures and, for Baha'is, to find ways of
> contextualizing the virtues revealed in the Baha'i Sacred Texts into the
> moral codes (values and norms) of the societies in which they live.

Gilberto:
I  think one should be sensitive to the customs of the people around
you. That's just adab. If belching in public and slurping your soup
loudly is acceptable in a certain environment, go for it. If it isn't,
you should refrain. But this isn't a moral issue.

> This relativist approach respects both the prerogatives of God and the
> differences between societies and cultures. On the other hand, a timeless,
> one-> size-fits-all approach to human behavior turns virtues and morals into
> ritualized
> rrelevances.

I don't think I have a aone-size-fits-all approach to behavior. I
think there are different levels. I definitely agree that there is an
aspect of human behavior and codes of acceptibility which fluctuates
from time to time.  But I would think that there is some core which
has to do with basic moral principles and which has a divine origin.
So for example, the ultimate principle could be something like concern
for the sanctity of human life and safety. And in some societies that
gets implemented by having everyone drive on the right side of the
road. In other societies it gets implemented by having everyone drive
on the left side.