On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 18:29:01 -0800 (PST), JS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Mark seemed to say it was reversed and that within their dispensation
> prophets could do anything and almost by definition it would be correct.
>

> -->  Hi Gilberto,  I think the idea is based on the following verses of
> Baha'u'llah, among others.  This idea - that one can come up with a set of
> morals or a standard to weight or measure the Prophets - appears to be at
> odd with these verses.  Please share with us how you read these verses.:
>
> The Kitab-i-Aqdas verse 99-
> "Weigh not the Book of God with such standards and sciences as are current
> amongst you, for the Book itself is the unerring Balance established amongst
> men. In this most perfect Balance whatsoever the peoples and kindreds of the
> earth possess must be weighed, while the measure of its weight should be
> tested according to its own standard, did ye but know it."

It seems like you are reading it correctly. I just don't think I would
agree with it. The Quran actually invites people to examine itself for
contradictions. Dares people to try to come up with verses like it. In
other places the Quran also calls itself "the Criterion" but I don't
know of a place where it declares itself immune from criticism.

This is a slight digression but there is a book by a convert to Islam
named Jeffery Lang named "Even Angels Ask" its an allusion to the
Quranic story of the creation of Adam when God announced he was going
to make human beings.

[2.30] And when your Lord said to the angels, I am going to place in
the earth a khalif, they said: What! wilt Thou place in it such as
shall make mischief in it and shed blood, and we celebrate Thy praise
and extol Thy holiness? He said: Surely I know what you do not know.

And Lang points out that from the Islamic perspective angels always do
what they are told and are sinless. And the conclusion is that even
questioning God's wisdom the way they do here is therefore not a sin
in Islam.