Gilberto,

At 06:16 AM 1/27/2005, you wrote:
>>Ok, then part of the difficulty is that we are using words differently.<<

Yes.

>>Whether or not one belches in public is not a moral question.<<

As I said, I would call etiquette and all low-level social norms "folkways."
Norms and values, as I define them, are categories of morality.

>>I would definitely want to distinguish between morality (which could
>>presumably be derrived from some basic moral/ethical principles) and mere
>>politeness or ettiquette.<<

I am not sure what you mean by "basic moral principles." Basic to whom? All
moral principles and virtues, as I define them, are relative. Morals are
relative to human groups; and virtues are relative to God.

>>I would think that this core has some kind of logic to it. It's not just
>>inscrutable and mysterious without rhyme or reason.<<

IMO, logic cannot be a foundationism. What is logical in the context of one
paradigm may be illogical in the context of another.

>>But don't you think everything is just a name?<<

No, I think that you and I exist. ;-) However, "people" is a name.

Regards, Mark A. Foster • http://markfoster.net • [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburger." ---- Abbie Hoffman