On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 22:49:29 -0500 (EST), Iskandar Hai, M.D.
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
.

> A girl of 8, 9, or 10 years of age who has had her menses is still a girl,
> not a woman. From around 13 to about 18-19 years of age, she is called a
> teenager. Past nineteen, she can be called a woman (or young woman).

Gilberto:
That's arbitrary. The concept of "teenager" or more precisely
"adolescent" is a relatively new one in human history. Probably
because in technical societies people need alot more training and
education before they are reasonably able to make a living and provide
for a family. In the past, people could pick up a trade from their
family and could make a living a lot earlier.

> Saying that a 9-year old post-pubescent female is a "young woman" is so
> Orwellian newspeak.

Gilberto:
Puberty is at least a very natural dividing line. Virtually any other
one is going to be arbitrary. To just say a girl becomes a woman at 15
even though no particular physical, mental or spiritual change happens
at 15 is random. Its understandable that that's where Bahais draw the
line and if you want to do that, I'm not objecting. But you have no
place to get all offended if other people draw the line somewhere
else.

> Yes, my understanding is that there are certain eternal fundamental
> verities and basic truths that are found in all Dispensations and
> moral/ethical orders. For instance, I'd guess that in all cultures,
> religions, civilizations, etc. ideas/ideals such as kindness, justice,
> compassion, chastity, decency, honesty, modesty, rectitude of conduct,
> courage, truthfullness, trustworthiness, etc., etc. are commended and
> commanded.

Gilberto:
Yes, we agree to that at least.

> The other thing is that in real life, sometimes the
> difficult and important decisions are not between a vice or a virtue but
> between competing virtues.

Yes, I see that.

 How much justice is mercy and how much justice
> is unmerciful, for example. Yes, truthfullness is good. But where is the
> line between truthfulness and lying? Does "taqiyyih" constitute lying?

Sure. I think alot of those sorts of questions depend more on the
exact specifics of a given situation. For me, that's the best way to
think of them rather than just depending on the date or the
"dispensation".

And the religions give us rules and guidelines and help in making
those decisions.

> The
> Prophet Abraham said Sarah was His sister at one point. At some point He
> said He would worship stars, then later He said He would worship the moon,
> later He said He would worship the sun. Finally, He said He would worship
> God the Creator of heaven and earth. Was He lying at some point?

I think I see the point but I would be really hesitant about using
this as an example because of what you possibly  seem to be suggesting
about Abraham's behavior and character.

> You haven't answered Susan's question yet, dear Gilberto.

I don't think you should be calling me "dear". And yes, I already
answered Susan's question and the answer appears below. Maybe you
don't like my answer. Maybe you don't understand my answer. But I
certainly have given one.