Dear Susan,
I came to this conclusion after reading several online accounts of British activity in the middle east subsequent to WW1. I read that Lawrence of Arabia was deeply involved in the Arab revolt against the Ottoman hegemony instigated by Sharif Hussein bin Ali . Sharif
Hussein had been promised a independent Arab state/kingdom by the British in return for instigating the revolt as indicated by the Hussein-MacMahon correspondence. However, the Sykes-Picot Agreement, divided the area into zones of permanent colonial influence. I've also read that Ibn Sa'ud had access to Wahhabi shock troops and since Sharif Hussein lacked the kind of military support the British thought was necessary to manage the peninsula effectively, British support was withdrawn from Hashimite rule in Arabia. Among my sources are http://www.wahhabism-info.com/Essay/toc.htm , "The Two Faces of Islam by Stephan Schwartz. and A History of the Arab Peoples by Albert Hourami.

I know that things were far more complicated than my simple assessment and would appreciate any insights into this matter from yourself. or any other. I did take a course in Middle Eastern History a long time ago and have been fascinated by the rise and collapse of Islamic Civilization for many years.
Sincerely,
Elainna

Dear Elainna,

Where does your information that the British favoured Ibn Sa'ud over the Hashimites come from?

warmest, Susan