Title: Re: alcohol in meals
At 9:27 PM -0400 8/1/06, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

In a message dated 8/1/2006 4:01:38 PM US Mountain Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
Hi friends,

Not related to quotes on alcohol, just for curiosity: Is there any rational explanation of why bahá'ís cannot eat meals cooked with alcoholic drinks? When the alcohol boils, only the savor survives and the alcohol vaporizes.
This quote from Shoghi Effendi says it all:

1173. Drinking Forbidden, No Excuse to Touch It Even in Plum Pudding

"Under no circumstances should Bahá'ís drink. It is unambiguously forbidden in the Tablet of Bahá'u'lláh, that there is no excuse for them even touching it in the form of a toast, or in a burning plum pudding; in fact, in any way."

(From a letter written on behalf of the Guardian to an individual believer, March 3, 1957: Cited in a letter from the Universal House of Justice to the National Assembly of Ecuador, December 21, 1972)   (Compilations, Lights of Guidance, p. 349)

Besides, there are wonderful other flavorings one can use in cooking without alcohol....

I was thinking there was a subsequent letter from the House of Justice saying that the decision whether to use small amounts of alcohol based flavorings, such as vanilla was up to the individual.

The argument has been made that if there is no alcohol remaining, then this stricture by the Guardian does not apply.  That is the rule I personally use.  Thus I know of people who make scrumptious ice cream toppings laced with rum. Even tho' there is probably less than a tablespoon of rum per serving, I don't touch them.  (Demerara rum and coke was my drink of choice before becoming a Baha'i.) I consider flaming rum pudding to be, at least potentially, in this category.  On the other hand, I have no qualms about using small amounts of alcohol based flavorings in quick breads, cookies, etc.  Given that even if unbaked, there would typically be less than one sixteenth of a teaspoon of alcohol per serving, I am going to use them.

On the other hand, the so-called alcohol free beers are only *legally* alcohol free in some (all?) cases.  I know a Baha'i who was freely imbibing them one evening until he realized he was getting a bit high.  Checking the label, he found that they contained 1/2 of 1 per cent alcohol, which in his state made them legally alcohol free.  A half dozen of them is like having a can of regular (U.S.) beer.

Don C

--

-.-.-.-.-
He who believes himself spiritual proves he is not.

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments thereto ("e-mail") is sent by the Johnson County Community College ("JCCC") and is intended to be confidential and for the use of only the individual or entity named above. The information may be protected by federal and state privacy and disclosures acts or other legal rules. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are notified that retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please immediately notify JCCC by email reply and immediately and permanently delete this e-mail message and any attachments thereto. Thank you.