Moreover, if alcohol is so bad for humans, I don't get why recent past Prophets as the Báb or Muhammad did not forbid it. Because many wines are the same as past wines, so, conditions didn't change on this case.

I think you'll find they did my friend..

The Holy Quran, 2.219: They ask thee concerning wine and gambling. Say: "In them is great sin, and some profit, for men; but the sin is greater than the profit." They ask thee how much they are to spend; Say: "What is beyond your needs." Thus doth Allah Make clear to you His Signs: In order that ye may consider.

The Holy Quran, 5.90: O ye who believe! Intoxicants and gambling, (dedication of) stones, and (divination by) arrows, are an abomination,- of Satan's handwork: eschew such (abomination), that ye may prosper.

The Holy Quran, 5.91: Satan's plan is (but) to excite enmity and hatred between you, with intoxicants and gambling, and hinder you from the remembrance of Allah, and from prayer: will ye not then abstain?

Allahu Abha,
Monder

Hasan Elias <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I think is a malpractice for bahá'ís to eat a rum pudding (if he knows what is a rum pudding), but I don't see the problem to eat a meal where alcohol is vaporized and gone. I checked some web pages that indicate that alcohol vaporizes when boils or is putted to high degrees.

Moreover, if alcohol is so bad for humans, I don't get why recent past Prophets as the Báb or Muhammad did not forbid it. Because many wines are the same as past wines, so, conditions didn't change on this case.

Hasan Elias <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> escribió:
Thanks Sandra and friends to answer. So, the alcohol doesn't vaporize? What about meals where (for example) a meat is cooked (boiled or fried) with alcohol? In my country, there are few typical plaits that uses a little bit of alcohol, and people (including bahá'ís) love to eat, and I think it is not a big deal.

Sandra Huit <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> escribió:
> Is there any
> rational explanation of why bahá'ís cannot eat meals cooked with alcoholic
> drinks? When the alcohol boils, only the savor survives and the alcohol
> vaporizes.

There was a study conducted in the early 1990's at one of the universities
in the state of Washington that disproved this. The study found that
depending on how the food was prepared, 20 - 85% of the alcohol is retained
in foods prepared with various alcoholic liquids. I can't find my file copy
of it, but it was published in the Journal of the American Dietetic
Association. At one time the US Department of Agriculture published a table
that showed how much alcohol remains in stews, sauces, etc., containing
ingredients such as wine and brandy.

Hope this helps.

- Sandra Huit

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments thereto ("e-mail") is sent by the Johnson County Community College ("JCCC") and is intended to be confidential and for the use of only the individual or entity named above. The information may be protected by federal and state privacy and disclosures acts or other legal rules. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are notified that retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please immediately notify JCCC by email reply and immediately and permanently delete this e-mail message and any attachments thereto. Thank you.

Correo Yahoo!
Regístrate ya - http://correo.espanol.yahoo.com/ __________________________________________________ You are subscribed to Baha'i Studies as: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Unsubscribe: send a blank email to mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Subscribe: send subscribe bahai-st in the message body to [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subscribe: http://list.jccc.edu:8080/read/all_forums/subscribe?name=bahai-st Baha'i Studies is available through the following: Mail - mailto:bahai-st@list.jccc.edu Web - http://list.jccc.edu:8080/read/?forum=bahai-st News - news://list.jccc.edu/bahai-st Public - http://www.escribe.com/religion/bahaist Old Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/bahai-st@list.jccc.net New Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/bahai-st@list.jccc.edu

Now you can scan emails quickly with a reading pane. Get the new Yahoo! Mail. __________________________________________________ You are subscribed to Baha'i Studies as: mailto:archive@mail-archive.com Unsubscribe: send a blank email to mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Subscribe: send subscribe bahai-st in the message body to [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subscribe: http://list.jccc.edu:8080/read/all_forums/subscribe?name=bahai-st Baha'i Studies is available through the following: Mail - mailto:bahai-st@list.jccc.edu Web - http://list.jccc.edu:8080/read/?forum=bahai-st News - news://list.jccc.edu/bahai-st Public - http://www.escribe.com/religion/bahaist Old Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/bahai-st@list.jccc.net New Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/bahai-st@list.jccc.edu