The Baha'i Studies Listserv

> Susan, have you read the earlier e-mail in this thread. Don C thinks
> society should have a zero tolerance policy towards non-heterosexuality. No
> marriage, no civil unions, no domestic partnership, no adoption, no
> parental rights, etc. He was complaining society gives them too many rights
> and blames it on secular liberalism.

I'm sorry, but I read all of Don's posts and I didn't read a single one
which stated that gays should have no legal rights or be afforded any
tolerance. That would be diametrically opposed to our own NSAs recent
letter on this issue.  But I'll let him say for himself whether he thinks
you have accurately represented his views. But please show me exactly where
Don said that a gay parent should lose all of their parental rights? As far
as 'adoption' goes, I don't think there is any such thing as a 'right' to
adoption. Adoptions should be for the benefit of the child, period. And I
would agree with Don that children are better off with a mother and a
father. But there are cases, especially with hard-to-place children, where
a single parent or homosexual couple might be the best alternative to
foster care. For instance, I know of one gay couple that adopted a five
African-American siblings. No way would those kids have been kept together
under any other circumstance. In that case, keeping the brothers and
sisters  together ought to take precedence over not providing them with
both a mother and a father. .