The Baha'i Studies Listserv
Liberal religion is a religious tradition which embraces the theological
diversity of a congregation rather than a single creed, authority, or writing.
Because it may draw resources from many traditions, it cannot normally be
characterized as Christian, Jewish, or any particular religious faith.
Theologian James Luther Adams defined the "five smooth stones of liberalism" as:
Revelation and truth are not closed, but constantly revealed.
All relations between persons ought ideally to rest on mutual, free consent and
not coercion.
Affirmation of the moral obligation to direct one's effort toward the
establishment of a just and loving community.
Denial of the immaculate conception of virtue and affirmation of the necessity
of social incarnation. Good must be consciously given form and power within
history.
The resources (divine and human) that are available for achievement of
meaningful change justify an attitude of ultimate (but not necessarily
immediate) optimism. There is hope in the ultimate abundance of the Universe.[1]
A religious liberal has been defined as
"To be a liberal according to my favorite scripture, Merriam-Webster, is be
open minded, is to be free from the constraints of dogmatism and authority, is
to be generous and to believe in the basic goodness of humankind. Religion is
defined as that which binds us back or reconnects us to that which is
ultimately important. Thus religious liberals are those that are connected,
through generosity and openness, to the most important aspects of life. And
therein lies the challenge. If we are open minded and not bound by authority,
who or what decides those matters of ultimate importance?"

Sent from my iPad