On Wed, May 8, 2024 at 12:51 AM Chuck Guzis via cctalk
<cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:

> On 5/7/24 15:21, Fred Cisin via cctalk wrote:
> > How difficult is it to measure and compare "With/Without" signals?
> >

> If you peruse the old Bob Pease articles on "Electronic Design"
> magazine, I believe more than once, he alluded to a proposed "blind
> test"--two boxes; one filled with the latest audiophilatic super speaker
> cable and the other with standard lamp cord with splices.
>
> I don't believe that anyone took him up on the proposed challenge.

There is a UK audio manufacturer which produces equipment under the
name 'QUAD'. Their products are based on electronic engineering, not
magic, They make amplifiers and also one of the few full-range
electrostatic loudspeaker units.

Anyway, some of their engineers were setting up for an
exhibition/demonstration when they realised they'd forgotten to bring
any speaker cable. No problem, one of them goes to the local 'DIY
Shed' (large hardware store) and buys some normal mains cable[1]. They
use this and not surprisingly it sounds great.

[1] Apparently there's a slogan on the wall of the QUAD workshop
'Ohm's Law rules here. Oxygen-free cable is not required'

Next day, said chain of 'DIY sheds' gets a run on that mains cable.
Audiophools were buying this magic speaker cable....

-tony