On Tue, May 07, 2024 at 12:15:47PM -0500, CAREY SCHUG via cctalk wrote:
> my ears would never be good enough to notice any difference....
>
> For what it's worth:
>
> First, in general, there are so many apparent reviews of so many products, it
> is hard to believe they are all scams.  How can there be enough fools to buy
> enough of those products to have that many different ones?  I mean, it takes
> a lot of work to develop a product, if you only sell 5, it is not worth it.
> if you take money and don't send anything,t hat would show up in a google
> search.

I don't think that stuff like "oxygen free copper cables" take much
development effort given that cheap regular copper wire already _is_
both 99.99% copper (result of the eletrorefining process) and contains
no oxygen in the metal. The most effort, I suspect, is making up the
marketing materials and selling that bullshit while keeping a (somewhat)
straight face.

> also, what some hinted at is the issue is even a very slight amount of
> magnitsm, spinning very fast, could affect the signal in the playback
> head....

CDs and DVDs are made from polycarbonate (for the body) and aluminium
(the reflector) - nothing even remotely magnetic here, no matter what
some sellers of high grade recrystallized snake oil claim.

> Do CDs and DVDs have parity and or checksums?  If you grab a CD twice, will
> both results be identical bit for bit?

Audio CDs use Reed Solomon error correcting codes (specifically Cross
Interleaved Reed-Solomon Coding (CIRC)) in order to extract acceptable
signal out of a not-so-great storage medium. Digital CD formats pile
at _least_ another layer of error correction on top of that.

> https://www.gcaudio.com/tips-tricks/cd-dvd-demagnetization/
>
> https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/if-you-have-a-cd-player-you-need-to-do-this-periodically
>
> At first, this SEEMS even more ludicrous, demagnetizing vinyl LPs, but the
> pickup heads are analogue magnetic, so maybe more reasonable

There are plenty of reasons why the correct pronounciation of "Audiophile"
is "Audiofool". E.g. "magnetism that has built up during playback" - tell
me you slept through physics class without telling me you slept through
physics class.

But, as always, there is plenty of money to be made selling bullshit to
the gullible ;-)

Kind regards,
           Alex.
 looks like work."                                      -- Thomas A. Edison