Hi Matt,

On Mon, 30 Oct 2023 09:43:00 -0400 Matt Welland <mattrwell...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 30, 2023 at 9:37 AM <felix.winkelm...@bevuta.com> wrote:
>
>  > How about
>  > "empty egg-info file, possibly due to an aborted egg-install - please
> remove the file and reinstall the corresponding egg"?
>  >
>  > Rationale: Matt's case.  check-errors.egg-info was empty, but the
>  > installation of base64 was failing.  If Matt had removed
>  > check-errors.egg-info and retried installing base64, the installation of
>  > base64 would work, but check-errors would still be broken
>  > (chicken-status and chicken-uninstall would ignore it, for example).
>
>  Sure, whatever - feel free to change the message, if you think that makes it
> clearer.
>
> My reporting on this was incorrect. Sorry for creating the churn. I believe
> there is something going genuinely wrong with check-errors. One hypothesis
> I have is that Windows is seeing the file name containing "errors" and doing
> something stupid and annoying. I am not experienced with Windows and have
> no clue what that thing might be but I'll keep digging.

Nothing to be sorry about.  I'm afraid this issue might not related to
Windows, exclusively.  I took a look at IRC logs and and saw that we had
at least four cases like that, two on Windows and two on Linux.  We have
traces of three of those issues in paste.call-cc.org and in pastebin.com:

* http://paste.call-cc.org/paste?id=476adbc8ef7b47d8a7ce9ccd7dc201d4737de7b7
* http://paste.call-cc.org/paste?id=a7c9d3bd2dbc8837b02b418a33f6d7c5ca9d9455
* https://pastebin.com/e2BdgGGC

I think we have a bug somewhere.

The eggs that triggered the problem (i.e., the ones that had their
.egg-info file empty), according to the records we have, are:

* apropos
* check-errors
* math
* srfi-45

I've have pushed the patch submitted by Felix, as I think it improves
the situation for users.  With it, users get a better error message and
have at least a chance to work around the issue.

I've created https://bugs.call-cc.org/ticket/1827 for that issue.

All the best.
Mario
--