On Mon, Oct 30, 2023, 4:04 PM Mario Domenech Goulart <ma...@parenteses.org>
wrote:

> Hi Matt,
>
> On Mon, 30 Oct 2023 09:43:00 -0400 Matt Welland <mattrwell...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Oct 30, 2023 at 9:37 AM <felix.winkelm...@bevuta.com> wrote:
> >
> >  > How about
> >  > "empty egg-info file, possibly due to an aborted egg-install - please
> remove the file and reinstall the corresponding egg"?
> >  >
> >  > Rationale: Matt's case.  check-errors.egg-info was empty, but the
> >  > installation of base64 was failing.  If Matt had removed
> >  > check-errors.egg-info and retried installing base64, the installation
> of
> >  > base64 would work, but check-errors would still be broken
> >  > (chicken-status and chicken-uninstall would ignore it, for example).
> >
> >  Sure, whatever - feel free to change the message, if you think that
> makes it clearer.
> >
> > My reporting on this was incorrect. Sorry for creating the churn. I
> believe there is something going genuinely wrong with check-errors. One
> hypothesis
> > I have is that Windows is seeing the file name containing "errors" and
> doing something stupid and annoying. I am not experienced with Windows and
> have
> > no clue what that thing might be but I'll keep digging.
>
> Nothing to be sorry about.  I'm afraid this issue might not related to
> Windows, exclusively.  I took a look at IRC logs and and saw that we had
> at least four cases like that, two on Windows and two on Linux.  We have
> traces of three of those issues in paste.call-cc.org and in pastebin.com:
>
> *
> http://paste.call-cc.org/paste?id=476adbc8ef7b47d8a7ce9ccd7dc201d4737de7b7
> *
> http://paste.call-cc.org/paste?id=a7c9d3bd2dbc8837b02b418a33f6d7c5ca9d9455
> * https://pastebin.com/e2BdgGGC
>
> I think we have a bug somewhere.
>
> The eggs that triggered the problem (i.e., the ones that had their
> .egg-info file empty), according to the records we have, are:
>
> * apropos
> * check-errors
> * math
> * srfi-45

Well, maybe there is a silver lining here, I can currently reliably
reproduce the problem!

One hypothesis I'm looking at is replacing calls using with-input-from-file
and with-output-to-file with open-*-file ... close loops for the reading
and creation of the egg-info files. The reason is that I've seen problems
on creation/reading of files on NFS that *felt* like they were improved by
replacing the calls as described. I found where the egg-info was read but
not where it was created. Can you give me an idea as to where the egg-info
is being written or copied? It is a long shot but maybe worth a try.