Le 29 Octobre 2003 22:49, Con Kolivas a écrit :
> Hi all
>
> A couple of years
> ago when I was subscribed to this list I suggested renicing X by default to
> -10 and noticed that it was done on the following release by default. That
> was a recommendation based on the default kernel's scheduler inability to
> make X smooth enough under load.
> However I am going to have to recommend reversing that change now as the
> new kernel has been tuned to allow good performance of X at nice 0. The new
> O(1) scheduler is far more aggressive with treatment of priorities and has
> much larger timeslices. Giving X a priority of -10 will make it cause
> unnecessary scheduling latencies for tasks that use even small amounts of
> cpu such as audio playback. In a nutshell this means that renicing X will
> make audio skip with a 2.6 kernel on even modern hardware.

Very astute observation. I was wondering why the gain in responsiveness wasn't
as noticeable as I'd hoped... :-)

Where do I set X's nice default level again? It's been a while.

While we're on kernel 2.6, I've noticed something with the test releases:
whenever I try to install 2.6 through the contrib RPMs (test5, then test8) I
can never get NVIDIA to compile and install (using the method from
www.minion.de). Actually the module will compile but not load. However, when
I compile test9 from kernel.org and try it, I can install the nvidia driver
fine. Somehow there's a setting in the 2.6 rpms from Mandrake that seems to
cause a problem with the nvidia drivers.

By the way, adding in the supermount patch for test8 to test9 seems to work
fine - in fact, I haven't had any troubles except for my usb scanner not
being detected at all.

--
Élie Charest
[EMAIL PROTECTED]