> On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 15:44, Élie Charest wrote:
> > Le 29 Octobre 2003 22:49, Con Kolivas a écrit :
> > > Hi all
> > >
> > > A couple of years
> > > ago when I was subscribed to this list I suggested renicing X by
> default
> > > to -10 and noticed that it was done on the following release by
> default.
> > > That was a recommendation based on the default kernel's scheduler
> > > inability to make X smooth enough under load.
> > > However I am going to have to recommend reversing that change now as
> the
> > > new kernel has been tuned to allow good performance of X at nice 0.
> The
> > > new O(1) scheduler is far more aggressive with treatment of priorities
> > > and has much larger timeslices. Giving X a priority of -10 will make
> it
> > > cause unnecessary scheduling latencies for tasks that use even small
> > > amounts of cpu such as audio playback. In a nutshell this means that
> > > renicing X will make audio skip with a 2.6 kernel on even modern
> > > hardware.

this probably apllies for kernel-multimedia too
(IIRC it includes 0(1) scheduler + your changes)

> > Very astute observation. I was wondering why the gain in responsiveness
> > wasn't as noticeable as I'd hoped... :-)
> >
> > Where do I set X's nice default level again? It's been a while.
>
> mandrake 9.2 does it here:
> /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers

any idea about gdm ?
it's not set in /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf

> and removing the nice -10 part of the command should be enough.
>
> > While we're on kernel 2.6, I've noticed something with the test
> releases:
> > whenever I try to install 2.6 through the contrib RPMs (test5, then
> test8)
> > I can never get NVIDIA to compile and install (using the method from
> > www.minion.de). Actually the module will compile but not load. However,
> > when I compile test9 from kernel.org and try it, I can install the
> nvidia
> > driver fine. Somehow there's a setting in the 2.6 rpms from Mandrake
> that
> > seems to cause a problem with the nvidia drivers.
>
> You need the kernel source of the  kernel you want the drivers compiled
> for
> .
> By default it looks for the kernel in /usr/src/linux so I usually symlink
>
> that to my latest kernel build directory.
>
> > By the way, adding in the supermount patch for test8 to test9 seems to
> wo
> rk
> > fine - in fact, I haven't had any troubles except for my usb scanner not
> > being detected at all.
>
> Chances are you're not loading the usb module correctly (some have changed
>
> names) or you're not mounting the new usbfs. Put this into your /etc/fstab
> :
>
> none /proc/bus/usb usbfs defaults 0 0

could it be a init script problem ?

at least for test5 cooker binaries
most drivers are compiled in
and the init scripts expect everything as modules

(
it took me lot of time to find out
to find out why alsa was allways
failing to start
)

IIRC even in 2.4 if usb support is compiled in
service usb wouldn't start
and this service mounts usbfs

svetljo