On Thu, 30 Oct 2003, Con Kolivas wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I'm a long time Mandrake user and am the person responsible for the base patch
> in the multimedia kernel and all the interactivity changes that have gone
> into the 2.6 development kernel (from 2.6.0-test6). A couple of years ago
> when I was subscribed to this list I suggested renicing X by default to -10
> and noticed that it was done on the following release by default. That was a
> recommendation based on the default kernel's scheduler inability to make X
> smooth enough under load.
>
> However I am going to have to recommend reversing that change now as the new
> kernel has been tuned to allow good performance of X at nice 0. The new O(1)
> scheduler is far more aggressive with treatment of priorities and has much
> larger timeslices. Giving X a priority of -10 will make it cause unnecessary
> scheduling latencies for tasks that use even small amounts of cpu such as
> audio playback. In a nutshell this means that renicing X will make audio skip
> with a 2.6 kernel on even modern hardware.

I know, I have been thinking longer about adding some extra init.d script
for multimedia kernel to renice X when booting into kernel-mm, and since I
doubt 2.6 will be perfect for everybody by the time 10.0 comes out it
might be a good idea to renice X only when the new scheduler is used. Con,
do you know of any quick way to check in bash/perl whether or not it is
useful to nice X to -10? Or should we just check for kernel > 2.6 or
kernel= kernel-multimedia?

d.