>> names) or you're not mounting the new usbfs. Put this into your /etc/fstab
>> :
>>
>> none /proc/bus/usb usbfs defaults 0 0

> I tried and still my scanner wouldn't work. The weird thing is that it would
> appear in the /proc/bus/usb/devices and in usbview.

Do you mean it works under 2.4?

Coldplugging hot-pluggable devices does not work and should not work under
2.4, at least it fails for usb-storage. I think, scanner driver is loaded
statically out of /etc/init.d/usb depending on /etc/sysconfig/usb settings -
could you check if it really works? Chances are driver name has changed
between 2.4 and 2.6 so this loading under fixed name fails, please compare
drivers for 2.4 and 2.6.

Svetljo has fixed hotplug RPM that supports 2.6, if you enable its initscript
it will emulate hotplugging for all devices present at boot and will load
drivers automatically, no manual config is needed.

-andrey