On Tue, 7 May 2024, Patrick Monnerat wrote:

I always just run 'ssh -D' to create a SOCKS proxy that curl can use...

I was rather thinking of something like 'ssh -L' provides, but without using intermediate local sockets.

Okay, I understand. It is indeed a fair idea, but asking users in the survey about if they want this supported seems like asking a lot since you are basically inventing an entirely new proxy style here and we would need a couple of paragraphs to explain it.

Is this not what --preproxy already allows at least with an additional proxy?

This would be a generalization of this case, allowing multilevel nested "tunnelling" with any supporting protocol in any order, each level adding a layer.

For most proxies you connect to, that proxy takes the next connect step that is inaccessible for the client - usually the proxy also resolves the host name. Multilevel proxies are unusual because they can only work for a certain set of proxies and in specific conditions.

I don't think average users understand how this works, and since even I need to ask about the feature, I don't see how we can ask for feedback on this in the survey.

I think we need to ask simpler questions.

In short, the idea is to bring much of cfilters under user control !

I think you need to present actual use cases first. Show what you want to do and who what you're proposing helps solve those use cases.

--

 / daniel.haxx.se