On Fri, Jan 05, 2024 at 05:36:10PM +0100, Rene Engelhard wrote:
> > My strawman proposal is to give this thread 2 weeks from today for feedback
> > and further refinement, and also to further reduce the number of
> > false-positives included in the transition.  Then, starting on Jan 18:

> > - dpkg will be uploaded to experimental with 64-bit time_t in the default
> >    flags

> I  think at that point in time one should know what breaks and whatnot.
> Archive rebuild?

> (Probably in stages....)

What kind of breakage are you looking to avoid here?  As mentioned in other
points in the thread, regressions as a result of this change should be rare
and easy to fix.  I do not think it's a good use of time / CPU power to do
test rebuilds for this instead of just landing the transition.

> > - the source packages which need an ABI change
> >    ("source-packages"+"lfs-and-depends-time_t" will have sourceful NMUs to

> I get that you probably want NMUs for not needing to ping every maintainer,
> but this is bad.

> That e.g. would cause me to upload libreoffice 24.2 rc2 to sid immediately
> when tagged end of next week to not have this caught in the transition. (see
> also below for the comment about new upstream versions in experimental.)

What about the suggestion to not push changes to experimental for packages
that already have new versions in experimental, and do the binary package
renames in unstable instead, leaving the package in experimental alone?

libreoffice libs only have one reverse-dep, zemberek-ooo; so the risk of
entanglement here is small anyway.

I think the above proposal, to skip packages already in experimental from
the set of uploads to experimental, would address your concern.  It's not as
if there is going to be any time that it's ok to tell maintainers they can't
use experimental at all because we're doing this transition.

> >    experimental with the new binary package names in order to clear binary
> >    NEW, in coordination

> And what about skipped ones?  When will those be tried?

What do you mean here by "skipped ones"?

Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/
slanga...@ubuntu.com                                     vor...@debian.org