Hi again,

On Sun, Jan 07, 2024 at 01:09:48PM +0100, Rene Engelhard wrote:
> Am 07.01.24 um 04:38 schrieb Steve Langasek:
> > The ordering here would be:
> > - dpkg will be uploaded to experimental with 64-bit time_t in the default
> >    flags

> > - the source packages which need an ABI change
> >    ("source-packages"+"lfs-and-depends-time_t") and do not already have
> >    versions in experimental, will have sourceful NMUs to experimental with
> >    the new binary package names in order to clear binary NEW, in
> > coordination

> > - once these packages have all cleared binary NEW, the new dpkg defaults
> >    will be uploaded to unstable

> And in the meanwhile in experimental it will be built with the old time_t on
> other architectures.

> Since the new dpkg won't be picked up.

> Not in the experimental builders unstable+experimental chroots which only
> install experimental packages when Build-Depends: need them.

> (For an undefined time given how much the packages later in the chain wait
> in NEW)

> Especially on armhf which is affected. Or will you do the source NMUs on
> armhf/i386? (For some packages where some features are disabled on 32bit
> this is probably not a good idea)

There is no intention here to do the source NMUs on armhf/i386; they will be
done on amd64.

Yes, autobuilds of these packages in experimental would, in the naive
implementation, still build with the old ABI and the new name.

I am not overly concerned about this, experimental is a staging ground for
developers and not something that folks are intended to install from in
production.  And there would be very few if any reverse-dependencies of
these packages uploaded to experimental to pick up the new name.  The intent
is to work with the ftp team to batch-accept these through binary NEW once
all of the uploads are done, and then promptly proceed with upgrades to
experimental.

Do you have a different suggestion?

Note that even including a versioned build-dependency on dpkg-dev in the
uploads to experimental doesn't really address the possibility of ABI skew
if reverse-dependencies are uploaded during the critical window where dpkg
has not yet been uploaded to unstable, because *those* packages will not
have a versioned build-dependency on dpkg: so will link against the
libraries with the new names but will themselves be using the old ABI.

Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/
slanga...@ubuntu.com                                     vor...@debian.org