On Sat, Jan 06, 2024 at 09:25:52AM +0100, Rene Engelhard wrote:
> Hi,

> > [...]
> > What about the suggestion to not push changes to experimental for packages
> > that already have new versions in experimental, and do the binary package
> > renames in unstable instead, leaving the package in experimental alone?

> How does that play together with the needed dpkg only in experimental?

> You can't build stuff for unstable involving experimental packages (except
> manually with binary upload, which would block testing migration)

The ordering here would be:

- dpkg will be uploaded to experimental with 64-bit time_t in the default
  flags

- the source packages which need an ABI change
  ("source-packages"+"lfs-and-depends-time_t") and do not already have
  versions in experimental, will have sourceful NMUs to experimental with
  the new binary package names in order to clear binary NEW, in coordination

- once these packages have all cleared binary NEW, the new dpkg defaults
  will be uploaded to unstable

- source packages which need an ABI change but already have versions in
  experimental will be uploaded to unstable, with binaries, to clear binary
  NEW

- sourceful NMUs of all the libraries will be reuploaded to unstable
  (without binaries, so that they can be promoted to testing without
  additional uploads).

- perl will also get a sourceful upload, to manually handle 'perlapi'
  Provides.

- binNMUs will be scheduled for all of the reverse-dependencies.

Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/
slanga...@ubuntu.com                                     vor...@debian.org