    Luca> On Mon, 6 May 2024 at 15:42, Richard Lewis
    Luca> <richard.lewis.deb...@googlemail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> Luca Boccassi <bl...@debian.org> writes:
    >>
    >> > Hence, I am not really looking for philosophical discussions or
    >> lists > of personal preferences or hypotheticals, but for facts:
    >> what would > break where, and how to fix it?

ssh-agent appears to default to creating a socket under /tmp.
I think respecting $XDG_RUNTIME_DIR would be better.

/etc/X11/Xsession.d/90x11-common_ssh-agent also doesn't override where
the socket ends up.
I definitely think for session scripts like that $XDG_RUNTIME_DIR would
be better.

gnome-keyring's ssh-agent handles this better, although last time I
checked, it did not support pkcs11, so I could not use it with PIV
cards.
(Other parts of gnome-keyring do support pkcs11).