Richard Lewis <richard.lewis.deb...@googlemail.com> writes:
> Luca Boccassi <bl...@debian.org> writes:

>> what would break where, and how to fix it?

> Another one for you to investigate: I believe apt source and 'apt-get
> source' download and extract things into /tmp, as in the mmdebootstap
> example mentioned by someone else, this will create "old" files that
> could immediately be flagged for deletion causing surprises.

> (People restoring from backups might also find this an issue)

systemd-tmpfiles respects atime and ctime by default, not just mtime, so I
think this would only be a problem on file systems that didn't support
those attributes.  atime is often turned off, but I believe support for
ctime is fairly universal among the likely file systems for /var/tmp, and
I believe tmpfs supports all three.  (I'm not 100% sure, though, so please
correct me if I'm wrong.)

--
Russ Allbery (r...@debian.org)              <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>