Hi Andreas,

On Thu, Apr 04, 2024 at 02:32:45PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in the light of the previous discussion I have a question to all voters.
> Due to bug #1066377 more than 30 testing removal warnings hit my mailbox
> today (I stopped counting after 30).  While the Debian Med package
> clustalo is the only package that's responsible for this due to its
> Build-Dependency from libargtable2-dev there is quite some dependency
> tree inside Debian Med team also affecting packages relevant for
> COVID-19 etc.  This small lib is not a key package which is important
> for all things I'm writing below.  Its used as Build-Depends by 6 other
> packages.
>
> Our always busy team member Étienne Mollier provided a patch 10 days ago
> (thanks again Étienne).  The package had its last maintainer Upload
>
>  -- Shachar Shemesh <shac...@debian.org>  Sat, 16 Jul 2016 20:45:15 +0300
>
> (Shachar in CC) and a NMU
>
>  -- Holger Levsen <hol...@debian.org>  Fri, 01 Jan 2021 17:15:04 +0100
>
> (reproducible build, no changes - in other words no problems since
> 2016).  However, the BTS view of Sanchar might hinting for some
> inactivity when looking at two RC bugs in other packages:
>
>   #965787 privbind: Removal of obsolete debhelper compat 5 and 6 in bookworm
>   #998987 [src:privbind] privbind: missing required debian/rules targets
> build-arch and/or build-indep
>
> As I wrote to Marc here on this list also the explicit hint to Shachar:
> Its not about blaming you - I just want to analyse the current situation
> to act properly.  Given that you had no capacity to respond to two bugs
> that are RC since 2 years makes me wonder how long I need to wait for
> your OK to a team upload I'm proposing below.  I'm perfectly aware that
> we as volunteers can't be blamed about those things.  I simply want to
> find new ways how to deal with those situations appropriately.

There is the possilbity to salavage the packagei [1], but that of course will
only work if the person agrees to take over maintainance and add their name to
Uploaders: or Maintainer: [2].
The package can be put into a team's umbrella at the ITS time.  This
does not need an explicit OK, though the maintainer can veto.

[1]
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/pkgs.en.html#package-salvaging
    https://wiki.debian.org/PackageSalvaging

[2] This is a feature, the ITS procedure has been designed exactly that
    way, to avoid that people just do an upload and drop the package
    immediatly afterwards, as this will likely only upset the current
    maintainer without long-term benefits to the package - kind of to
    avoid the reaction Marc predicted.
    If taking over the maintaince is not the goal, remember NMU allow
    one to fix almost every bug, also wishlist bugs are regularily in
    scope. And bugs can be filed, if needed.
    Some Background story:

tobi