On 02/04/2019 10.57, Jim Jagielski wrote:
I don't think anyone expects it to die, but rather that D&I be one of
the core aspects of community development and not an effort,
in and of itself. If it reaches critical mass and warrants being
spun out (due to clear division of tasks between D&I and ComDev)
then I think everyone would support that.

IMO, spinning out does not guarantee that an effort will succeed and
not die (we have loads of history to show that), nor does keeping
it, for the time being, in ComDev mean that it will wither or die on
the vine.

The specific organizational structure does indeed seem like a moot topic. What matters is that wherever this take place, the group is given *space and freedom* to get some work done. I'd be fine with it being within ComDev, I'd also be fine (but perhaps a bit confused) with it being a thing of its own...but what it really just needs is a space to work within, and a sufficient amount of isolation from bike-shedding.

I'd recommend a separate mailing list (to provide focus) and a JIRA, perhaps some place to put documents (either within the comdev svn area, or somewhere else if spun off), and then...just get to work :)

Just my 2c