Responding to your request for a vote, I meant that this isn't required per
se and the consensus here was not to vote on it. Hence the jokes about
meta-voting protocol. In that sense nothing new happened process-wise,
nothing against ASF norms, if that's your concern.

I think it's just an agreed convention now, that we will VOTE, as normal,
on particular types of changes that we call SPIPs. I mean it's no new
process in the ASF sense because VOTEs are an existing mechanic. I
personally view it as, simply, additional guidance about how to manage huge
JIRAs in a way that makes them stand a chance of moving forward. I suppose
we could VOTE about any JIRA if we wanted. They all proceed via lazy
consensus at the moment.

Practically -- I heard support for codifying this process and no objections
to the final form. This was bouncing around in process purgatory, when no
particular new process was called for.

It takes effect immediately, implicitly, like anything else I guess, like
amendments to code style guidelines. Please uses SPIPs to propose big
changes from here.

As to finding it hard to pick out of the noise, sure, I sympathize. Many
big things happen without a VOTE tag though. It does take a time investment
to triage these email lists. I don't know that this by itself means a VOTE
should have happened.