On Wed, 15 Jun 2016 17:39:32 +0200
Kamil Dudka <kdu...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, June 15, 2016 17:29:02 Miroslav Suchý wrote:
> > Dne 15.6.2016 v 10:14 Ade napsal(a):
> > > Why is this?  Well some time ago the behaviour of the tool
> > > changed and now the only way to proceed is to click in "Restart
> > > and Install" and this is NEVER what I want to do. I never want to
> > > reboot my desktop just to apply updates, Id rather apply all the
> > > updates and reboot to bring in the new kernel (if there is one)
> > > when I have the time
> > Imagine two regular updates.
> >
> > First you update mariadb-server package. %post is smart and it will
> > condrestart the mariadb service. However...
> >
> > Next day you update "pam" package which
> > provides /usr/lib64/libpam.so.0 which is used by mariadb service.
> > Unless you restart your computer your mariadb server will continue
> > to use old (and maybe insecure) libpam.so. Or unless you use
> > dnf-plugins-extras-tracer:
> > http://dnf-plugins-extras.readthedocs.io/en/latest/tracer.html
>
> It is a reason to restart the system (or just the services of
> interest) _after_ installing the update, but not before installing
> the update.

I think it's a combination of all these:

* If you simply apply updates and don't restart everything that uses
  the things updated you will not be taking advantage of the security
  or bugfixes. If those things are used by a lot of your apps,
  restarting each one is tedious and/or as disruptive as just rebooting
  anyhow.

* Even though live updates work 'pretty well' there will always be a
  number of corner cases where applications will not function correctly
  after they are updated but before they are restarted. Directories or
  resources they need may have changed, etc.

Running tracer for a while can really open your eyes to how many things
need restarting after normal updates flow.

One thing that might make this less annoying to people would be ability
to schedule the reboot for some off hours time (2am or something) and
also ability (for gnome at least) to restore apps/windows/session
again on login.

kevin