On Wed, 2016-06-15 at 10:27 -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Jun 2016 17:39:32 +0200
> Kamil Dudka <kdu...@redhat.com> wrote:

> > > Imagine two regular updates.
> > >
> > > First you update mariadb-server package. %post is smart and it
> > > will
> > > condrestart the mariadb service. However...
> > >
> > > Next day you update "pam" package which
> > > provides /usr/lib64/libpam.so.0 which is used by mariadb service.
> > > Unless you restart your computer your mariadb server will
> > > continue
> > > to use old (and maybe insecure) libpam.so. Or unless you use
> > > dnf-plugins-extras-tracer:
> > > http://dnf-plugins-extras.readthedocs.io/en/latest/tracer.html
> > It is a reason to restart the system (or just the services of
> > interest) _after_ installing the update, but not before installing
> > the update.
> I think it's a combination of all these:
>
> * If you simply apply updates and don't restart everything that uses
>   the things updated you will not be taking advantage of the security
>   or bugfixes. If those things are used by a lot of your apps,
>   restarting each one is tedious and/or as disruptive as just
> rebooting
>   anyhow.
>
> * Even though live updates work 'pretty well' there will always be a
>   number of corner cases where applications will not function
> correctly
>   after they are updated but before they are restarted. Directories
> or
>   resources they need may have changed, etc.
>
> Running tracer for a while can really open your eyes to how many
> things
> need restarting after normal updates flow.
>
> One thing that might make this less annoying to people would be
> ability
> to schedule the reboot for some off hours time (2am or something) and
> also ability (for gnome at least) to restore apps/windows/session
> again on login.

Note that the original poster says that he runs dnf -update from the
command line because it allows him to do what he wants.

Based on the information discussed in this thread, shouldn't dnf also
force a reboot before updates?

We have an observed difference between what is permitted in the cli
tool and what is permitted in the gui tool. Why this difference?