On 2016-11-07, Adam Williamson <adamw...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> I don't believe the vast majority of people actually install old
> package versions *ever*, unless they get very explicit instructions to
> do so either because there was a big fail of some kind and we did our
> usual emergency drill, or they hit some kind of very specific bug and
> got very specific instructions to do so in Bugzilla or something.

Becuse they don't know how, they are lost without explicit
instructions.

> I'd say. I think the
> idea that everyone needs to have a gigantic cache of every package
> version they've ever installed stored locally

Only few (usually one) previous ones are enough. If a buggy package
reaches stable repository, downgrading this one package is usually the
easiest temporary fix until package maintainer provides a fix.

I recommend to look into repository of a rolling distribution.

> they need to install an old one some time is...wrong. (Obviously the
> *right* way to do that general approach is some form of
> snapshotting...hi, ostree).

Of course. User is waiting for a bug fix for his hot package, na atomic
update delivers the fixed package with unrelated broken package. The
result is as terrible as now. User get everything or nothing.

That's maybe fine for laic users who want only to use. But unaccaptable
for advanced users or developers. Is Fedora still for developers?

-- Petr