On Tue, Apr 5, 2022 at 11:31 AM Tom Hughes via devel
<devel@lists.fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On 05/04/2022 15:52, Ben Cotton wrote:
>
> > * There is no migration story from Legacy BIOS to UEFI -
> > repartitioning effectively mandates a reinstall.  As a result, we
> > don’t drop support for existing Legacy BIOS systems yet, just new
> > installations.
>
> This is where I have a problem with this, the fact that there is
> no upgrade path - virtually my entire installed base of Fedora is
> running legacy BIOS and not being able to upgrade them will be
> something of a headache.
>
> Is it actually true though? You need to be able to find some space
> for an EFI partition but assuming that can be done is there some
> other reason you can't migrate from BIOS to UEFI booting?

a. There's no way to automate the switch from CSM/BIOS to UEFI. The
user must interact with the firmware setup directly to make the switch
happen.
b. It's not immediately obvious that the migration worked, from a
user's perspective. They need to run efiboormgr and know what's
expected.

Fedora Cloud edition base images are dual BIOS and UEFI boot, using
GPT partition scheme. It is possible to do this. But Cloud has a much
narrower set of virtualized firmwares to deal with, and getting bugs
fixed is pretty likely. Whereas any bugs discovered in hardware's
firmware is unlikely to get fixed anytime soon.

The biggest though is likely lack of resources. It'd amount to
foisting this arrangement onto users and come what may.

--
Chris Murphy