Timothée Ravier <si...@fedoraproject.org> writes:

>> Bootloaders are not single files.  Consider UEFI:
>>
>> For grub2, there's both a .efi and some configuration that I'll handwave
>> for purposes of this conversation.  For shim, it's more like 4 things -
>> the main shim*64.efi, fallback.efi, boot.efi, and boot.csv.  These all
>> serve different purposes, and need to get loaded from specific parts of
>> the ESP.  (Recall here that fat32 doesn't have symlinks, either.)
>
> I don't think I understand the problem here. Do shim updates usually
> change all of those files at once? What's blocking us from updating
> them one by one?

Conceptually, we need to be able to update most of them in the event of
a security issue.  Shim releases are infrequent due to needing signing,
which means that as a signed unit they update more at once.  In the
issue you linked, I described what would be a safe order to apply
updates to them in, but that's not *transactional* (a system that takes
a reboot during the small window of moving files around could see some
from old and some from new).

> Note that bootupd is not trying to solve the "safe" part of bootloader
> updates: we're aware that the system should not crash while the
> bootloader is being updated. See
> https://github.com/coreos/bootupd#questions-and-answers

If your model doesn't permit the system to cease execution during
bootloader updates, then I'm not sure why you need bootupd at all -
traditional RPM updating will work just fine (assuming the A/B change
we've been talking about).  But the "Questions and answers" section
doesn't read that way to me: it mentions that "forcibly pulling the
power during OS updates" is a case ostree wants to support and doesn't
explicitly negate that for the bootloader.

I'm happy to send a PR to update that text if that's not what's meant.

> Thus that's why we're requiring interactions from an admin to apply
> the update as only they can now when the system is the less likely to
> crash.

Are you referring to
https://github.com/fedora-silverblue/issue-tracker/issues/120#issuecomment-1177515110
?  I didn't think that was generally something admins expected to be
doing, but would be happy to be wrong about that.

Be well,
--Robbie