> No, the install script install script in an RPM trigger, so the write is
> still carried out by RPM.
>
> I don't agree.  Just because a user can mess with files on the system
> doesn't mean the rpmdb is a lie, nor is it reasonable to go recheck all
> paths on the filesystem just in case they've done so, or create a daemon
> to provide an interface for doing that.

Note that this change here is only about Fedora Silverblue & Kinoite (and maybe
IoT later). In those variants, /usr is read only and not expected to be changed
by users. The rpmdb is thus pretty much guaranteed to match the content of the
system by design for /usr.

On rpm-ostree based systems, system composes (image builds), package
installation and updates are done "offline" so /boot is not available. The
bootloader is not updated by an RPM trigger and this is why we need an
additional tool to perform the update at another time. We've created a daemon
because we need the update to be reliable so it should not fail if your SSH
connections fails or if you Ctrl-C it in the middle, etc. This daemon is really
small and socket activated so it's mostly never running.